Friday, January 15, 2010

Haggle Market

As I take a break from the barracks, I finally work up the courage to venture off base into the foreign villages that houses the enemy. The only thing keeping my mind from being terrified is my friends and fellow soldiers accompanying me as we walk down the narrow dirt roads, trash littered on both sides. Through the bustling ruckus in town we finally made it to what seemed to be a small cafĂ©. Not knowing the language, I naturally just pointed at a well priced dish and hoped for the best. Of course, I was served Pomegranate Soup. Which was way too thin and a deep purple that turned out to be surprisingly cold and awkward to eat. Unfortunately, due to what I think was a combination of soup thickness and shock of temperature; I spilt half of the bowl on my white shirt. Upset with my first foreign meal, my friends and I fled the scene and entered a haggling market. I noticed pirated films, toys, clothes, food, and tools; which all had great prices on them, so I went straight for the toys. The whole market was a pawn system; however, the sellers basically attacked the buyers trying to sell their goods. As I approached the toy stand I went straight for a yo-yo, my favorite childhood toy. I analyzed the strength of the string with my expertise in yo-yo’s, and eventually was met with a family of sellers all yelling at me in a language I could not understand, spit and bad breathe flying all around me. I got nervous and started to sweat, telling them to back off. Surprisingly, they understood me and left me with the yo-yo as they went back to the other side of the table. I then proceeded to test the yo-yo. I went up and down, walked the dog, and even remembered the old Eiffel Tower trick. I began to attract a crowd; however, I wasn’t sure if they were in awe of my yo-yo skills or how much soup one can spill on their shirt. Either way, enjoying the attention I attempted to swiftly go around the world with the yo-yo as I flung it over my head. Although, my plans suddenly changed when the base of the yo-yo flew off and nailed a small elderly woman in the head, knocking her into the pirated film table, and knocking over all the movies. This time the sellers were attacking me for a different reason, so I sprinted, and sprinted, and sprinted some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment